Monday, January 21, 2013

Goals After Fifty?



I started to write about memories, but thought it would be to mauldlin. I'm going to start with a question. Can we be productive or achieve goals after fifty? Oh, speaking of after fifty I suppose that could be maudlin, too - but we won't go there.
 
To answer my question wether we can achieve goals after fifty the answer is "Yes."  Often times our lives don't take the paths we've planned out. There are many twists and turns in the journey of life, but it can be a surprise where God leads us.
 
 
 
I'd always loved to write but never had the chance. When my children got older I took the opportunity to follow a dream I'd had for many years. After a several years and some hard work I'm now a published author of two books. My first one was published when I was fifty-seven. If I let myself think too much on how old I already am then it would be easy to just give up or quit. I don't want to do either. So for now I am looking forward to more goals being accomplished during our "mature" years. Don't give up - we are never too old to accomplish a goal!
 
 
 
A picture of myself and author Patricia Sprinkle when I was just dreaming about writing!
 

 


5 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

Congratulations on your books--I love those covers!

Annis Pratt said...

Hedrick Hertzberg wrote in the New Yorker this week that Dustin Hoffman, at just my age, has so much nergy and verve that he makes 75 look like the new 21. I'm writing the last volume of my trilogy and looking forward to effectively marketing it. I get to have the deep wisdom of age combined with the creativity and verve of 21: that's the combination!

J.B. DiNizo said...

Goals after 50? Yes, peace with where life has taken us, and developing those goals that let us do the good things we desire before the final trumpets sound!

Deborah M said...

Thanks for all your comments. It encorages me to see others still being productive and at peace with their lives.
Debbie Malone

Unknown said...

Oh, yes. Lots to do after 50, and more time to do it! No kids underfoot, fewer excuses. A good book that addresses life after fifty is 'Half Time,' by Bob Buford, where he looks at life in the second half of the game.