Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What are Your Gifts?

WHAT ARE YOUR GIFTS?

I personally believe that each and every one of us has some kind of gift/strength/talent to use in this lifetime - some innate ability we're born with. 

Think of the extremes - the person who can play a piano but never took a lesson in their lifetime, the long distance runner that never trained, but no one can beat, the untrained football player who can throw a perfect pass. There are so many examples of unexplained abilities that it seems obvious to me that each of us has our own special gift.

Now, I'll grant you, not all gifts are as spectacular as the ones I named. Some people are wonderful with children - yes, I consider that a gift. If it's something not everyone can do well, then it's an innate gift. Others are equally as gifted in working with the elderly - something not everyone has patience for.

Many of us have multiple gifts - all at varying levels. I personally am gifted musically, as well as with words. I play the guitar and sing and I love to entertain. I may never be famous beyond my own small community, but I enjoy sharing the gifts that I have.

Recently, while visiting my mother who suffers from dementia, I brought my guitar along and played some of the old songs I grew up with, songs I knew she loved. The smile that bloomed on her face was priceless as she sang along with me and my daughter, even remembering some of the words. What precious joy I received in sharing my gifts!




I have a dream to someday own a Christian coffee house and share my love of music and books. I managed to put this dream into words in my story A Piece of Heaven that was released on May 31st. 

 
Trina Wembly dreamt of owning a Christian coffee house for years –a Godly place where people could enjoy a good meal, and entertainment that was pleasing to God. A Piece of Heaven is that dream, and Trina the star entertainer.

Jared Larou, the construction foreman who helps design and build the coffee house, is a wounded soul with a soft heart, a soft heart that Trina is drawn to.

Trina knows God is the only one who can heal Jared’s wounded soul. Does she have the faith and patience to wait on God’s will – if it is God’s will?

Buy link:

I was born and raised in New England and although I've seen much of the country, this is the area I will always call home. I love the change of seasons and the beauty each one brings. There is no place quite like it.


I've been married over 20 years and we have one teenage daughter who will be going to college next year. 


I am an active member in my church,  a member of the choir (along with my daughter), and I write not just stories, but  music as well. Perhaps some of that will be published someday, too.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Donna, what a lovely reminder we should all use and share our gifts! I thank God for my gift of writing. I love it dearly!

Claude Forthomme said...

Beautiful! I was so moved that your mother smiled and remembered the songs, that's wonderful! Yes, we all have special gifts, the only problem is that sometimes we won't know what they are and never have the chance you had to uncover them...But I say to everyone in my family: keep trying!