Tuesday, February 23, 2010

LIFE AFTER THE OOPS

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9 NIV).

“Oops,” I said as I took the scissors to my mother’s hair.
“Somehow that doesn’t give me a lot of confidence,” she said.
Some days oops flow like lava, one mistake melting into another.  I lose confidence that I will ever get this Christian thing right.
“Oops!  I wish I hadn't spent all that money.” I comment as I return from shopping, having been unable to resist those 50 percent off sales promotions. When I examine my purchases, I realize I could have easily done without many of the items purchased.
 “Oops, I wish I had stuck to my diet,” I moan when I step on the scales, wishing I had not eaten that second piece of Black Forest cake.
Our spiritual lives seem as imperfect as our shopping sprees and sugary feasts.
“Oops, I wish I hadn't said that hurtful remark,” I chastise myself after hurling my spouse’s mislaid sneakers across the room.  
As oops spill, I wonder if it’s even possible to live a holy life.  I waste hours in self-incrimination until God pulls at my spiritual ears to get my attention.
“Enough with the apologies,” God tells me.  He reminds me that holiness is an attitude, a desire for the things of God.
“Holiness is not perfection,” God reminds me.
 “You will still make mistakes,” He tells me. “Holiness is a seeking after the things I want to give you. Wallowing in your oops is wasted energy. Remember, I have a remedy. Give me your oops and I will exchange them for peace.”
Have you ever struggled with the oops?
Ponder me back.

1 comment:

Nike Chillemi said...

Ooops I wish I had stuck to my diet is one of mine.

Ooops I wish I hadn't snapped at the kids or at hubby. Wish I wasn't so stressed too.

I'm really glad holiness isn't perfection. :)