Friday, January 15, 2010

I'm Glad I'm a Tree

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor (Isaiah 61: 1 – 3 NIV).


Do you ever think of yourself as a tree? Tall and straight and fully adorned in green leaves? Here God promises to the refuse of the world and use them for His glory. He reaches out to the poor, to the despairing, to the prisoner, to the lost. Whether our circumstances are of our own making, a calamity or catastrophe beyond our imaginings, or because humankind’s rebellion, I believe God wants to make the dark places light, satiate the hungry, and set the captive free.

I believe God intimately knows the brokenhearted and offers renewal. With so great an offer, why are we slow to respond? What captive would not want to be free? What weary traveler would not want to find rest? What disease-ridden soul would not want to be cured?

The Lord asked the paralytic man at the wading pool a seemingly foolish question-Wilt thou be whole? (John 5:6). If he were cured, his life would change dramatically. He had to decide whether to walk in newness or cling to the security of the old. Healing and freedom would catapult him into the unfamiliar.
Perhaps that is why the path to repentance and salvation is so narrow (Matthew 7:13). It is an entrance into a vast unknown and few dare to choose the path.
Let me “leaf” you with this thought:
I believe that God will fashion those who seek to be made whole into a strong and mighty oak amidst His grove. What do you think
Ponder me back

1 comment:

Carol McClain said...

I love the Isaiah Scripture. And I love that he makes our roots go down deep to find the water so we can stand despite the world's buffeting.