Thursday, November 21, 2013

the Table Where the Rich People Sit


Twenty years ago I found a picture book, The Table Where the Rich People Sit. It's one of my favorites.

Growing up just outside of San Francisco in the '60's, I wanted to be a hippie. I embraced the idea of living with less, and being content. The book, written for young people but appreciated by adults, shares those ideals.

The pen and color wash illustrations are minimal in detail.  The limited hues hint at the spare sand and hill desert setting.

Mountain Girl, the adolescent narrator, calls a family meeting to discuss their poverty. As an example she points to their scratched, hand-crafted, repurposed dining table, proof they aren't rich.

So her parents introduce her to their unconventional economy.

"We don't just take our pay in cash, you know. We have a special plan so we get paid in sunsets, too" her mother says. And they start the bookkeeping with a credit of $20,000.

They add generous amounts for dad's pleasure of working where he can sing. They get a bonus for the unique color of a cactus bloom, the presence of day-loving and nocturnal birds. Finally they add the value Mountain Girl brings to their lives, including her list-making abilities. At a whopping one million dollars, she brings the family assets up to $4,055,000.

When she considers her ledger, all on the plus side, it doesn't seem important to add the actual cash they earn. "I suggest it shouldn't even be on a list or our kind of riches."

When I first read this wonderful book I laughed aloud. I had two Mountain Girls at home who complained about our one-car status and having to use public transportation. They thought our decision to not spend money on a TV was ridiculous, while I counted the hours of reading aloud to them as pure gold.

I really wanted the oral reading of this book to be part of our Thanksgiving tradition. Sadly, it didn't catch on.  Perhaps this year, as we scrunch husbands, four kids and a baby around the table, I'll try again. I want us to always be mindful that we are blessed beyond reckoning, but still it's good to count those blessings.

I pray you will cherish your time together next week as you sit at the table with the rich people.

9 comments:

Caroline said...

Lovely. The older I get the simpler I want life. Wish I'd had that mindset years ago! Great post.

Unknown said...

That's one of the blessings of being a boomer. We can see things that eluded us in our youth. Beautiful story and thank you for sharing.

Donna B said...

Wonderful post! Having an appreciation for what really matters is indeed a matter of maturity, but sharing that mindset does seem to open other's eyes. I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving as I give thanks for all I have, too.

Claude Forthomme said...

Happy Thanksgiving, your table is the richest!

Patti Shene said...

This post sure brings to light the things in life that are most important. Thanks for sharing this great insight!

J.B. DiNizo said...

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!
It's not dollars that make us rich!

Unknown said...

I feel blessed beyond measure. My rental house that I worked on all summer and fall was blown off it's foundation on Sunday. My grandson and his room mate were in the basement. The room mate has a beam come down on his leg, but it wasn't broken. They are both safe and I am especially thankful at this Thanksgiving. Life has a way of getting priorities in order. Great post.

Gail Kittleson said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. We have it all.

Sherry Carter said...

Beautiful reminder of what really matters. I am rich beyond measure.