Friday, January 8, 2010

Advancing the Ball




May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands (Psalm 90:17 NIV)

With the all the technology in this world, why can’t they invent a bed that makes itself? Why must we toil in fruitless endeavors, wasting our lives away with the mundane? No matter how many dishwashers we have in the house, someone has to load them. And they need to be emptied before they can be used again.

There is always some task screaming at us to be tended to. If it’s not laundry, it’s mending. If it’s not moving the lawn, it’s pulling the weeds. It never fails that as soon as I clean the kitchen, someone in the household has a hankering for a snack. “Leave it alone for an hour at least,” I demand in my best general’s tone. “I’d like to just look at for a few minutes at least.”

I wonder if even the most exciting careers are riddled with the mundane. Sometimes the mundane seems to overshadow what I feel is productivity. I feel like that golfer who hits the ball and watches it hit a tree and go backwards another hundred yards. No wonder the Psalmist worries that his life will be frittered by the mundane and asks God to honor the work of his hands. Ever feel that way?
Ponder me back

No comments: